The church of St Margaret, Bilsthorpe, is the featured church for November 2023. The village of Bilsthorpe is 16 km (10 miles) north-west of Newark.
The church comprises a west tower, nave, chancel, south transept, vestry and south porch. It was restored by the Nottingham architect, T. C. Hine, in 1873-4.
The tower is of two stages, buttressed and has a crenellated parapet. It dates from the 14th century but was heightened in 1663.
The south transept (the ‘Savile Chapel’) was added in 1879-80 by Captain Henry Savile of Rufford Abbey as a memorial to his late wife. The architect was Robert Edis of London.
The 13th century style chancel arch has moulded and foliate capitals.
There is a plain Norman font.
The reredos is beautifully painted and dates from the late 19th century.
The west window is by C. E. Kempe of London and was installed in 1880. It depicts St Raphael, St Michael and St Gabriel.
On the north wall of the chancel is a monument to William Chappel, who was born in Laxton in 1582, and became Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross. He died in 1649.
Further information on the church can be found at the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project website.