The church of Holy Rood, Edwalton, is the featured church for September 2022. The village of Edwalton is located on the southern edge of the Nottingham conurbation, around 6 km south-east of the city centre.
The church consists of a chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. A brick extension designed by John Severn was constructed on the north side of the church in 1996-7.
The tower is built of brick (in English garden-wall bond with upper diaper-work) and dates from the mid-16th century.
The north wall of the nave consists of irregular blocks of stone; the south wall is ‘also a mish-mash of different masonry.’ The core fabric of the building is probably 13th/14th century. The 3-bay south arcade with octagonal piers dates from the 14th century.
The oldest windows are mullioned, suggesting a 16th or 17th century date.
The chancel collapsed in the late 17th century and the nave was subsequently provided with a brick east wall until a new chancel of ‘harsh red brick’ was added by the architects Brewill & Brewer in 1894.
The square font bowl is of magnesian limestone and may be late medieval. It stands on four 19th century marble shafts and square base.
A two-light stained glass window depicting Christ on way to Calvary with Simon of Cyrene was installed in the nave north wall in 1906. It was produced by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
The two windows in the south wall of the south aisle relate to the First World War. One (showing St George and St Martin) is a thanks offering for the safe return of Major Leslie R. Halford, MC and Major Frank B. Halford. The other window is a memorial to Lt. Col. Arthur W. Brewill, D.S.O. who survived the war and died in 1923.
Further information on this church is available from the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.